Re: Connection Oracle - Sybase

From: Jim Smith <jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 09:34:56 +0100

In message <b7758dc3.0404111437.7d20c2c4_at_posting.google.com>, Gianfranco Poli <atikin_at_email.it> writes
>I need to insert row in a sybase's table from Oracle.
>Sybase is on a Unix machie and Oracle is on a Win2000Server o the same
>network.
>I tried with Transparent gateway but nothig, I have problem to
>configurate o ORACLE.

What have you tried? What error do you get?

IIRC, you need to do the following.

Install transparent gateway on the Sybase machine so that you have an oracle service running on that machine.

Configure TNSNAMES.ORA on the Oracle machine to point at the oracle service.

Create the database link to point at the service defined in tnsnames.ora

You also need to note that Sybase is case sensitive and Oracle folds everything to upper case. If you Sybase table name is _myTable_, then you need to use "myTable" in you insert statement.

Transparent Gateway is rather old. Its now called Heterogeneous Services and may well have changed a lot.

--
Jim Smith
Because of their persistent net abuse, I ignore mail from