Re: create table in a procedure

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 20:10:53 -0400

"Hans Forbrich" <forbrich_at_yahoo.net> wrote in message news:zfGdc.28850$J56.25383_at_edtnps89...
| /motten wrote:
|
| > English isn't my primary language so I need to make sure i understand
 what
| > you're saying.
| > Are you saying my approach is reasonable or are you saying that both
 mine
| > and my collgegaues
| > designs are defect ?
|
| My apologies for not being clear.
|
| I reserve the right to change my mind if given new or more detailed
| information. However, based on what you have written:
|
| - I disagree with your colleague (for the reasons I gave); and
| - I agree with your approach.
|
| Defective design (to me) means it will not work. I do not believe either
| design is defective.
|
| My comments about your colleagues design: Based on my experience, I
 believe
| there will be an unacceptably high cost of maintenance and administration.
| And I suspect the performance will not be consistent, but that is
 something
| that would need to be tested.
|
| /Hans

i have created systems that were designed to be extensible as new functionality was added that could not be handled by the original data model -- but the idea was to analyze the data well enough up front so that the original structures were generic enough to handle new types and subtypes without needing new data structures. and, any new data structures would be created by developers, not by end users, and not dynamically. i share hans' concerns with proliferation of tables -- likely many would be nearly identical in structure -- and would certainly emphasis the major complications you will encounter with reports, as well as interfaces in general

in your survey scenario, it certainly should be quite possible to model structures to handle almost any survey -- as long as sufficient analysis is done. i would want to make sure that the preference for creating tables on the fly is not due, at least in part, to insufficient analysis and design

get and study david haye's 'Data Model Patterns: Conventions of Thought' (isbn 0932633293) for good insights into well-thought out relational data structures

;-{ mcs Received on Sat Apr 10 2004 - 02:10:53 CEST

Original text of this message