Re: What's your compensation for carrying a pager???

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2004 13:24:13 GMT

"Richard" <pager_boy_at_spamex.com> wrote in message news:eI6bc.9796$Ig.3374_at_pd7tw2no...
> My employer currently pays me $1/hour when I carry a pager. I have to
> carry the pager every fourth week. The problem is that my employer
> insists that I be available when I'm carrying the pager. So, for $1/hr
> they expect me to remain within pager range, remain sober, and be
> available to come to work. That really sucks on weekends. No going
> to the beach (out of pager range) or out to a friend's cottage (out of
pager
> range), etc. Declining to carry the pager is NOT an option.
>
> I'm curious what compensation others get and more importantly, what's
> your employers expectation of your availability when you're on-call?
>
> Thanks.

Richard,
I've been thinking on this more. One incentive that paying the on call person for their after hours time is to have the system run smoothly and make the occasion rare when someone actually has to be called. By paying more when the on call person has to respond to an emergency there is incentive to minimize emergencies. (I don't mean by not calling when there is a problem, but rather trying to set up processes and proper maint. so these are fewer.) Everyone wins in this situation. (more up time, less emergencies)
Jim Received on Sat Apr 03 2004 - 15:24:13 CEST

Original text of this message