Re: What's your compensation for carrying a pager???

From: Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_no_spam_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 16:42:08 GMT

Richard wrote:

> My employer currently pays me $1/hour when I carry a pager. I have to
> carry the pager every fourth week. The problem is that my employer
> insists that I be available when I'm carrying the pager. So, for $1/hr
> they expect me to remain within pager range, remain sober, and be
> available to come to work. That really sucks on weekends. No going
> to the beach (out of pager range) or out to a friend's cottage (out of pager
> range), etc. Declining to carry the pager is NOT an option.
>
> I'm curious what compensation others get and more importantly, what's
> your employers expectation of your availability when you're on-call?
>
> Thanks.

I carry a pager and a cell, and get squat for it, its a condition of employment. We take turns being on call for weekends, but basically we all are anyway, the on-call person will just contact me if the problem is db related anyway, same goes for our network guys, as400 guys etc. I do a lot of after hours monitoring & work on my own anyway, in turn I get a lot of flexibility, if I want to leave early to watch one of my kids school event I go, no questions asked. As long as everything runs and runs smoothly things are ok. Works for me anyway...

cheers Received on Fri Apr 02 2004 - 18:42:08 CEST

Original text of this message