Rule Based Optimization

From: Terry Coccoli <request_at_ifneeded.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 19:44:38 GMT

We have a Siebel implementation and for one query that was taking a long time to run I asked a DBA to evaluate the explain plan. I noticed that he chose to evaluate the Rule based optimization. I asked him why and he said that the Siebel application defaults to Rule based optimization.

Not that I don't trust him, but I had the impression that Cost based was the way to go.

Is it possible to set up a database schema so that it the optimizer always uses Rule based rather than Cost ? And if anyone knows Siebel, is this the actual default ?

Thanks. Received on Thu Apr 01 2004 - 13:44:38 CST