What's your compensation for carrying a pager???

From: Richard <pager_boy_at_spamex.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 05:18:02 GMT

My employer currently pays me $1/hour when I carry a pager. I have to carry the pager every fourth week. The problem is that my employer insists that I be available when I'm carrying the pager. So, for $1/hr they expect me to remain within pager range, remain sober, and be available to come to work. That really sucks on weekends. No going to the beach (out of pager range) or out to a friend's cottage (out of pager range), etc. Declining to carry the pager is NOT an option.

I'm curious what compensation others get and more importantly, what's your employers expectation of your availability when you're on-call?

Thanks. Received on Thu Apr 01 2004 - 23:18:02 CST