Re: Migrating db2 to Oracle 9i

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 22:26:29 +0100

sybrandb_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> zglickman_at_il.bphx.com (Zvika Glickman) wrote in message news:<b6b91e64.0403070844.66ff4862@posting.google.com>...
>

>>I'm migrating DB2 to ORACLE 9I.
>>In the DB2 schema each table defined in diferrent tablespace.
>>Few tablespaces are define on the same STOGROUP (there are few
>>STOGROUP).
>>It's a big db (few terra bytes). There are tousands of tables, so also
>>thousands of tablespace.
>>When i'm migrating to Oracle:
>> Is it right to define oracle tablespace for each DB2 tablespace (so
>>i'll have
>>thousands of tablespaces)?
>> if not, how should i split my entities to tablespaces so it will
>>match the DB2 structure?
>>What is the parallel entity in Oracle to: STOGROUP in DB2?

> Thousands of tablespaces is possible, but not necessarily a good idea.
> Each tablespace will have at least one datafile, when Oracle performs
> a checkpoint all datafiles will need to be dealt with. Apart from that
> it is a maintenance nightmare.
> I would split entities by application and/or size.
> With Oracle there is no such thing as a stogroup, you would best set
> up your tablespaces *locally managed* with appropiate settings and
> forget about individual storage clauses on table level.
>
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

Well, there used to be a storage definition, and a tablespace was created using a storage definition (V5, that was). So, I'd go for as many tablespaces as storage definitions (if these are significant different).
All of Sybrands remarks still stand, though, this is only an addition

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel