Re: is there any future to learn Oracle?

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 4 Mar 2004 07:20:18 -0800

niy38_at_hotmail.com (Niy) wrote in message news:<55dd405a.0403032132.218e3ee5_at_posting.google.com>...
> since jobs are being outsourced to India.
>
> --- a entry-to-middle level oracle DBA/Developer.

Being that

1- the Oracle DB is losing market share to both DB2 and SQLServer and 2- the IT industry in general is outsourcing jobs to low wage foreign locations

it may be wise to consider a totally different career path altogether.

IT project management is not an easy task and managing a project where the work is performed remotely makes the task even more difficult. There will still be some IT jobs located locally. The exact nature of these jobs is still undetermined. More than likely the majority of these jobs will be closely related to business process analysis, project management, and IT management. Still some local technical expertise will be retained. The question is how much?

I would suggest that if you really want to work in IT that you make sure to take all the current in demand technologies: HTML, XML, JAVA, and gain experience working with a Web Server product: Web Logic, WebSphere, ... and combine this with a Business degree.

I expect that the relative income level for IT professionals over the next 20 years will not be as good as over the last 20 years, but if an IT career is what you want the above is what I think you need.

Predicting the future is an error prone task. Be flexible.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Thu Mar 04 2004 - 16:20:18 CET

Original text of this message