iSQL*Plus bug with substitution variable?! (9.2.0.1.0)

From: Jacob Grydholt Jensen <jacob_at_rgrydholt.>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 12:45:13 +0100

I am trying to learn iSQL*Plus for the 1Z0-007 exam. I am having a bit of problems with the substitution variables. My understanding was that they behave as in SQL*Plus, but my experiments beg to differ.

I log on to the sample schema 'hr' and enter the following statements:

select last_name
from employees
where last_name like '&name'
-- statements end

When I click the 'Execute'-button, I am prompted for the value of the 'name' substitution variable. Regardless of what I enter, the result is:

LAST_NAME
King
Kochhar
Khoo
Kaufling

King
Kumar

6 rows selected.
-- iSQL*Plus output end

So my entered value is discarded and the value explicitly defined is always used, very strange! When executing the same statements in SQL*Plus, a prompt does not appear.

I tried a few other experiments which showed other differences between iSQL*Plus and SQL*Plus, so my question is: "Should iSQL*Plus and SQL*Plus behave the same or are there subtle differences?". If this is a bug, how do I report it to Oracle?

Best regards,
Jacob Grydholt Jensen Received on Tue Mar 02 2004 - 12:45:13 CET

Original text of this message