Re: rollup not working

From: <sybrandb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 26 Feb 2004 00:40:30 -0800

"UNIXNewBie" <nospan_at_nospam.com> wrote in message news:<1KednaVlHdAXqqDdRVn-gw_at_magma.ca>...
> Am looking at an Oracle SQL reference book.
>
> They have the following SQL for ROLLUP which works
>
> SELECT 0.YEAR, TO_CHAR(TO_DATE(O.MONTH, 'MM'), 'Month') MONTH,
>
> R.NAME REGION, SUM(O.TOT_SALES)
>
> FROM ORDERS O, REGION R
>
> WHERE R.REGION_ID = O.REGION_ID
>
> AND O.MONTH BETWEEN 1 AND 3
>
> GROUP BY ROLLUP (O.YEAR, O.MONTH, R.NAME)
>

> They also have the following SQL which apparently is supposed to produce a
> partial ROLLUP. It does not work however. I receive ORA-00933: SQL command
> not properly ended.
>
> Why is this happening?
>
> Note that the only difference is that O.YEAR is now outside the ROLLUP
>

> SELECT O.YEAR, TO_CHAR(TO_DATE(O.MONTH, 'MM'), 'Month') MONTH,
>
> R.NAME REGION, SUM(O.TOT_SALES)
>
> FROM ORDERS O, REGION R
>
> WHERE R.REGION_ID = O.REGION_ID
>
> AND O.MONTH BETWEEN 1 AND 3
>
> GROUP BY O.YEAR, O.MONTH ROLLUP (R.NAME)
I spot a , missing between O.MONTH and rollup

Apart from that you really need to include your version in every post. This is an area which has been improved several times, so you might just be using the newest syntax against an older version of the database (or set your compatible parameter incorrectly)

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Thu Feb 26 2004 - 09:40:30 CET

Original text of this message