data handling issue

From: curwen <josephcurwen_at_despammed.com>
Date: 25 Feb 2004 05:53:10 -0800

Hi all,
I'd like to have you opinion about the following performance/design issue:

a logging system is generating a lot of records every our,(about 500k/day)
I need to store them in a huge Oracle RAC system a Java web application connects to the data and executes queries on them, mainly on last entered set of records queries on informations stored more then 3 months ago are quite rare

as first guess I managed to store them in a table indexed by a primary key, let's say in the table 'LOGS' the problem is that table is going to grows very big,

have you got 'best practice' ideas to handle the situation in a better way?

I thought about moving data priodically in a 'LOGS_ARCHIVE' table , for example using a Oracle job
is it necessary?
PS I can't use Oracle standard file archiving support, I need data to stay on tables

thanks in advance
jc Received on Wed Feb 25 2004 - 14:53:10 CET

Original text of this message