Re: data handling issue

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 16:22:19 GMT

"curwen" <josephcurwen_at_despammed.com> wrote in message news:cc68edc4.0402250553.18a9dabf_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi all,
> I'd like to have you opinion about the following performance/design
> issue:
>
> a logging system is generating a lot of records every our,(about
> 500k/day)
> I need to store them in a huge Oracle RAC system
> a Java web application connects to the data and executes queries on
> them, mainly on last entered set of records
> queries on informations stored more then 3 months ago are quite rare
>
> as first guess I managed to store them in a table indexed by a
> primary key, let's say in the table 'LOGS'
> the problem is that table is going to grows very big,
>
> have you got 'best practice' ideas to handle the situation in a better
> way?
>
> I thought about moving data priodically in a 'LOGS_ARCHIVE' table ,
> for example using a Oracle job
> is it necessary?
> PS I can't use Oracle standard file archiving support, I need data to
> stay on tables
>
> thanks in advance
> jc

I always find it strange that we see requests like this. Sort of along the lines of "I am building this huge Oracle database and I don't know much about Oracle but..." Wouldn't one get people on the project who have some knowledge and expertise on Oracle? It just strikes me as very odd. Jim Received on Wed Feb 25 2004 - 10:22:19 CST