Re: Java Stored Procedures

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 19 Feb 2004 10:54:08 -0600

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, me_at_my-deja.nospamcom wrote:
> I am investigating the Java Stored Procedure, first to gain
> better understanding on what this is, and also if it would be
> suitable for a new project which will be running on Sun One AS7
> (Client is Swing)
>
> I have spent about a day reading through many docs, mostly in
> Oracle site and also the past newsgroup discussions. Still, I
> am not clear really on who this Java Stored Proc technology is
> intended for. Most of the example are toy examples really. Any
> consensus on who this technology is aimed at and who should
> really be using it?

I can tell you how we are using it. We are converting an applet based application into a J2EE with Oracle backend. The old applet actually has alot of data coded in its java code (They later tried to retrofit this into a relational store). Instead of rewriting all of this hardwired code, we are judiciously loading key java code into Oracle and calling it directly.

> Would you use Java Stored Proc and have it contain lots of JDBC
> calls inside it and have it be called either by a client or a
> EJB session bean?

I don't think I would recommend the java making jdbc calls. I would recommend using it when PL/SQL doesn't support your needs.

--
Galen Boyer