How to fill empty column with number sequence?

From: Ken1 <ken1_at_tjohoo.se>
Date: 13 Feb 2004 00:11:25 -0800

I am going to drop a primary key from one column and create a new column to be used as primary key in an existing database. The old column was a date column which someone earlier though was a good candidate for a primary key which we all know it's not.

Now I want to add a new field, i.e. called ID, with a normal number sequence as primary key.

I have dropped the primary key, created the new column, created the new sequence and created a trigger to generate the primary key for new inserts.

But I don't know how to generate/update the new ID column with sequence numbers for the already existing records.

Any ideas?

/Kenneth Received on Fri Feb 13 2004 - 02:11:25 CST