Re: Oracle Rman Replication

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 10 Feb 2004 15:14:57 -0800

"RYAN" <sh_toh_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<4025e4dd$1_at_news.starhub.net.sg>...
> Hi All,
>
> I am new to Oracle and I have some question that I hope that someone out
> there can help me.
>
> I have heard the Oracle Rman can do replication of Archives logs. In this
> way, one can setup some sort or Oracle Instances replication accross 2
> machine at different sites.
>
> 1. Does amyone know how is the performance of this method of replication as
> compared to replication software such as veritas?

Assuming you mean standby database, as others explained.

> 2. Lets say if the transcation is about 256kbps can Oracle replication to be
> configured to replicate across 2 2Mbps WAN link so that at any time of
> failure, only 15 min of data is loss?

You have to, one way or another, copy the original db over there. If the db is much larger than your link, you have to be real swift about taping it and jumping on a plane, while continuing manually to ship the logs until the syncronization is complete. This can be difficult because Oracle can decide to use multiple archive processes, so you have to be certain each archive is complete before shipment.

Of course, in normal operations you are periodically shipping archived logs which are a collection of those transactions. That is burstier than 256kpbs. The originating db has to wait for that to complete. If something happens, it can stall the db (perhaps fixed in the newest version).

> 3. If anyone would recommend, which mothod to replication is better? Oracle
> or Veritas VVR?

Depends on your needs and goals. Don't short the network for either way.

> Thanks,
> TSH
jg

--