Re: Oracle Rman Replication

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 09:01:06 +0100

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 15:27:50 +0800, "RYAN" <sh_toh_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I am new to Oracle and I have some question that I hope that someone out
>there can help me.
>
>I have heard the Oracle Rman can do replication of Archives logs. In this
>way, one can setup some sort or Oracle Instances replication accross 2
>machine at different sites.
>
>1. Does amyone know how is the performance of this method of replication as
>compared to replication software such as veritas?
>2. Lets say if the transcation is about 256kbps can Oracle replication to be
>configured to replicate across 2 2Mbps WAN link so that at any time of
>failure, only 15 min of data is loss?
>3. If anyone would recommend, which mothod to replication is better? Oracle
>or Veritas VVR?
>
>Thanks,
>TSH

First of all, not mentioning a version is asking for inaccurate answers.
Secondly, you have been mis-informed. RMAN can't do that. It can create multiple copies of a file, and that is about all there is. So you can't use RMAN to set up replication. Oracle has available the standby database feature (8i) or Oracle Dataguard (9i and beyond), where a primary database ships archive logs to one or more standby database.
These features replicate actual transactions. You also have Oracle Advanced Replication used in distributed databases (ie the other database is open, in the standby database the other database isn't open), this is based on regular refreshing the slave site by querying from (the changes of the ) master tables. Consequently this solution will generate more traffic.

The only thing one could say to your question is that using a non th irdparty product usually provides better results than using a third party product.
Less than 15 min data loss is definitely manageable with the standby feature, provided you set it up correctly.

Finally, please don't crosspost to all newsgroups you can spell and don't rely on hearsay.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA