Re: Suppressing newline during a SELECT returning multiple rows

From: Ed prochak <ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com>
Date: 5 Feb 2004 10:17:17 -0800

srabbani_at_yahoo.com (Shuaib) wrote in message news:<124b8f0d.0402040443.5710f8f0_at_posting.google.com>...
> Is there any way for Oracle (using standard SQL rather than PL/SQL) to

by that I assume you mean using SQL*Plus versus some other ORACLE client program (such as an ODBC client like ACCESS)?

> suppress the newline character when returning a list of rows.

I do not think you can totally suppress it. In SQL*Plus there is a option to set the line size. Look up the options in the SET command. There is also an option to define the record separator character, IIRC. If so, it too is an option to the SET command.

> I would like to get a single row output back comprising the following:
>
> "john, james, jenny, jill, benny"
>
> in other words, all names separated by the a comma followed by space.
>
> Many thanks in advance for you help.
>
> Shuaib

The manual is your friend. (You likely just needed the right words to look it up in the index, right?)

HTH,
 ed Received on Thu Feb 05 2004 - 19:17:17 CET

Original text of this message