Re: Loading from a column

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 5 Feb 2004 12:39:51 -0800

"Alistair Thomson" <alistair_at_despammed.com> wrote in message news:<bvtavk$r32$1$8300dec7_at_news.demon.co.uk>...
> Why not use sqlldr to load the data from the text file into table2? You can
> use the fixed column position or a delimiter to separate the data into
> different columns.
>
> Alistair
>
> "Demetris" <DMina_at_laiki.com> wrote in message
> > Hello there!
> > I have a table (table1) and one of its columns DATA_X is CHAR(660)
> > I will create another table (table2) similar to the above but i will
> > replace the DATA_X column with several columns (different data types)
> >
> > The table1 is populated with data using a text file.
> > After the loading is finished on table1 i want to select all the data
> > from table1 and load it in table2. The DATA_X must be split in several
> > columns.
> >
> > How do i perform this?
> >
> > Thank you.

Detemtris, if the data is not in fixed absolute positions but is relative to various delimiter characters or constants then look in the SQL manual chapter on single row functions for substr, instr, and other character manipulation functions.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Thu Feb 05 2004 - 21:39:51 CET

Original text of this message