Re: Any progammers looking for a killer app to develop? How about a voice enabled forum?

From: Haximus <14356256546_at_spam.org>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 02:41:50 GMT

"Charlie-Boo" <chvol_at_aol.com> wrote in message news:3df1e59f.0402020639.5f0486da_at_posting.google.com...
> "Haximus" <14356256546_at_spam.org> wrote
> > Hate to burst your bubble but the system already exists, it's called
Usenet
> > and one can attach files to posts (say, sound files containing verbal
> > queries). Also, the idea that you can simply make a verbal query and
expect
> > a credible response in a timely fashion is ludicrous. Whan was the last
> > time a search engine gave you exactly the answer you wanted on the first
> > try? Human response is no more accurate, not unless your forums are
> > populated *only* with certified authorities on the subject matter at
hand.

> I was just passing through and this caught my eye. I couldn't resist
> responding. "Hate to burst your bubble" - "already exists" -
> "ludicruos". Man, you are totally out of it. Do you know what people
> said to Dave whats-his-face, the founder of Wendy's, when he said that
> he's going to open a hamburger chain (named after his daughter)?
> "Stupid idea. There's already McDonald's"

I said the capability already exists. If you want to make verbal queries to forums, record a sound file and post it, I'm sure most wireless PDAs and notebooks could be programmed to do this even while flying down the highway. So you make the query and now what happens? The same thing that happens when you post a text query to Usenet or any other peer forum - you sit and wait until someone answers, maybe five minutes or five days. The OP thinks by voice enabling a forum he's going to get realtime answers. Possible of course, but I've never seen a public forum perform quite that fast.

> Albert Einstein summed it up well: "Great spirits have always
> encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."

Thomas Edison also said genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration. Real genius is having an idea THEN making it work. Lots of people have lots of great ideas but someone actually has to build it. I can't tell you how many people I know who had the absolute "killer idea" and invested time/money just to find out someone else had already done it or it wasn't feasible/practical/economical. No harm in trying but people who have ideas need to learn how to do research because 999,999 out of 1,000,000 times someone has already thought of it. There, I just typed in "voice enabled forum" into yahoo and got several hits going back to 2000. Creativity is a wonderful thing but the wheel only needs to be invented once.

> I know. I don't
> like to brag, but just this once: I made an 800 on my math college
> board in High School. I'm a friggin' genius. So I have TONS of
> ideas. (I once wrote a 186 page book based on a survey of only about
> 5% of my collection of ideas over a 3 year period. I add about a page
> a day - about 10-12 ideas a day. The book sold about 10-15,000
> copies.) People will always be resistant to those who "think outside
> of the box" or try to get ahead or to make things better. I have seen
> it hundreds of times over the years. I see all sorts of stupid things
> that can be greatly improved. George Bush didn't think of guarding
> the border into Pakistan when he invaded Afghanistan and bin Laden
> just walked away before we got there. People are stupid! There's
> tons of room for improvement to almost every aspect of our society.
>
> To whoever posted the original idea: DON'T LET THE IDIOTS GET IN YOUR
> WAY! PLEASE!! YOU WILL GET THE LAST LAUGH!
So even though you don't like to brag, you go ahead and brag. Save it for your mom, I'm sure she will be quite impresssed. Received on Tue Feb 03 2004 - 03:41:50 CET

Original text of this message