Re: How can create case-insensitive database in oracle?

From: Madjid Nasiri <nasiri_at_kawacomputer.com>
Date: 31 Jan 2004 00:19:47 -0800

Walt <walt_at_boatnerd.com.invalid> wrote in message news:<401A8A37.D644F684_at_boatnerd.com.invalid>...
> Guido Konsolke wrote:
> >
> > "Madjid Nasiri" wrote...
> > > Hi,
> > > I am basic in oracle. My Old programs write with Delphi and
 Databases:
> > > Access, Paradox, MySQL, Microsoft SQL.
> > > I write my code (SQL code) case-insensitivae, but now i need use
> > > oracle database. The Oracle by default is case-sensitive, How can
 used
> > > case-insensitive in oracle.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Madjid Nasiri
> >
> > Hi Madjid,
> >
> > I hope you are going to use a version >= 8.1.7 (9.2.0.4 would be
> > best).
> > Since you don't provide much infos to play around with, here are 2 two
> > possible meanings of your post:
> > 1. You want to store data case insensitive: do an 'insert...
> > values(upper('Abcd'))...'.
> > This will put your data in upper case into the tables.
> > 2. Your data will be mixed-case and you want to select them case
> > insensitive:
> > create 'function based indexes' on every column you want to use in
> > your where-clauses.
> > Then 'select ... where <column_name> = 'ABCD'.
> >
> > If my assumptions about your intention are wrong, please explain it a
> > little.
>
> Sounds to me like a third possibility:
>
> 3. He has a body of SQL that is case-insensitive and mistakenly
> believes that Oracle SQL is case sensitive.
>
> Majid,
>
> Oracle SQL is case insensitive. The character data stored in Oracle is
> case sensitive.
>
> i.e. the following statements are identical:
> SELECT * from FOO where COL = 'BAR';
> select * From Foo WHERE col = 'BAR';
>
> These two are not:
> SELECT * from FOO where COL = 'BAR';
> SELECT * from FOO where COL = 'Bar';
>
> Oracle provides string functions UPPER() and LOWER() to deal with
> case-sensitivity issues. There's also INITCAP() but it doesn't always
> give you what you want.

Hi All, and Thanks from Guido and Walt
I didn't problam with Data case-sensitive. My problam is in "Table Name" and "Field Name" for example I like select Table1.Code from Table1 ======== select TABLE1.CODE from TABLE1

Thanks for answers,
Madjid Received on Sat Jan 31 2004 - 09:19:47 CET

Original text of this message