Re: Any progammers looking for a killer app to develop? How about a voice enabled forum?

From: jeffc <nobody_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 15:39:35 -0500

"Matt" <noemail_at_me.com> wrote in message news:ll2j10pv74s6dg33999qffg6tb6efm5f7b_at_4ax.com...
> Any progammers looking for a killer app to develop? How about a voice
> enabled forum?

I don't think the solution you posted is the one I'd want. I'd still want text posted. I don't want to have to listen to a whole bunch of talk if I don't want to. Imagine someone leaving a message on your phone answering machine. It's a 2 minute message, and there's an important detail like a phone number to call them back. What if you don't want to listen to the whole message again to get that number? Especially if you didn't catch it the first time. Sound familiar?

No, what we need is simply to be able to convert voice to text, and back. That technology already exists.

>With this type of voice message board-you could have engaging,
>interesting, convenient, and fairly natural conversations over the
>Internet. The experience could be liberated from sitting at a
>computer-and it would be enhanced by being able to hear human
>voices-rather than reading text. You could have all the fun and
>convenience of natural conversation-but enhanced through the reach and
>expertise and convenience available over the Internet.

I think you're missing the point. That's what I *don't* want. You're describing "chat". Chat rooms and forums are 2 different things. A real conversation is real-time. I don't want real-time for these forums. That would be BAD. Do you know why email is so successful? Hint: it's not real-time. Conference calls are real-time.

> Go here to find other people to help collaborate on this project:
> http://www.thesearchforwisdom.com/community/boards/viewthread.php?tid=104

Now how you are going to put something like that in a voice message? Received on Fri Jan 30 2004 - 21:39:35 CET

Original text of this message