Re: Index creation too long

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 26 Jan 2004 06:16:44 -0800

evoradba_at_yahoo.ca (Maria) wrote in message news:<351fd9d6.0401231404.64c607bf_at_posting.google.com>...
> We have 3 oracle instances running on different servers, all servers
> have the same O/S configuration and oracle has the same configuration
> as well ( I copied over the init's etc from each other) Oracle version
> is 8.1.7.4.0 and O/S is solaris 5.8. The databases are all the same we
> use distributed databases therefore links to copy data only between
> the three oracle servers. Then indexes are done locally on the
> database
> On server 1 creating indexes takes a average of 35 minutes
> On server 2 creating indexes takes a average of 35 minutes then
> On server 3 creating indexes takes a average of 55 minutes
>
> The redo logs 10 x 409,600km, I have statspack running and does not
> shows any activity at all, I don't even have users there since is a
> new configuration for the server in question, I would like to shave
> off the extra time if possible, I have different tablespaces for both
> indexes and data , all across the file system, I don't know what to do
>
> Thanks
> Maria

1- Compare object size and make sure the problem instance does not have bigger objects

2- Compare the definitions of the temporary tablespaces and sort_area_size

3- Take a look at the physical disk to logical file layout.

Good luck
-- Mark D Powell -- Received on Mon Jan 26 2004 - 15:16:44 CET

Original text of this message