Re: Migrating questions

From: Hans Forbrich <hforbric_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:50:23 GMT

vv wrote:

> Hi All,
> I'm a newbie in databases..and I'm looking for answers for a few questions...
> Any help is appreciated!

> 1.What do you mean by importing a databse?

Loading the exported data into a database. Export is an Oracle utility designed to extract data from the database an place it into a custom-formatted export file for import later on.

> 2.Is it possible to import Sybase databse to Oracle databse?

No

> 3.Do I need Sybase database to migrate data to Oracle Database?

Yes. Or at least an extract with a known format that can be mapped.

> 4.When i use import utility , will oracle create all the tables?

Yes.

Go to Oracle's online documentation (at http://otn.oracle.com >> Documentation [icon at top]) and look for the list of manuals. Dig out the Utilities manual (gives details of export and import) and the Concepts manual (look at the table of contents for interesting chapters.) Then you will have a better understanding of the questions you asked.