Re: Oracle and OpenSource

From: Hans Forbrich <hforbric_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:41:37 GMT

Paul wrote:

> michaelnewport_at_yahoo.com says...
>
> > Oracle has been an open-source software proponent for several years
>
> This is completely untrue. To the best of my knowledge, Oracle has
> *_no_* intention of releasing the source to its database.

Not the database. I can't blame them either as it is their bread and butter ... "never give away the cash cow"

But AFAIK, Oracle does provide fixes back to the Open Source community, esp. Apache and Linux kernel enhancements (eg: recent file system enhancements around asyncIO). And it has made available some Open Source code, esp. OCFS.

> It is merely making (legitimate) use of Open Source software as a means
> of screwing Micro$oft.
>
> > and heavily promotes the Linux OS as a platform for its server-based
> > software, including its applications and database systems.
>
> In order to screw Micro$oft!
>
> Oracle Corp. has no interest in Open Source per se, as an ideal or as a
> business strategy for itself, but is using it as a tool to undermine
> competitors.

Nothing wrong with that.

Isn't a fundemental tenant of good business to use [leverage <g>] any and all tools and methods to provide a competitive edge?

/Hans Received on Tue Jan 20 2004 - 17:41:37 CET

Original text of this message