Re: Connecting from Windows

From: Hans Forbrich <hforbric_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 16:36:26 GMT

Wayne Happ wrote:

> I have Oracle 9 running on a Linux RedHat Box V9.0.
>
> But I'm having trouble connecting from a windows machine via PL/SQL
> Develover. When I startup the application the instance name appears but when
> I try to login as sysdba I get the error.
>
> ORA-12545 Connection failed because target host or object does not exist.
>
> I'm guessing that there's something net8 I have to setup. This is a new
> installation. Can someone point me in the right direction?
>
> -Wayne

Probably a config issue - on your Windows machine, you should find a TNSNAMES.ORA file, hopefully in the 'ORACLE HOME'/network/admin directory.

Some common things that could go wrong include: the TNSNAMES.ORA file has not been set up (you should be able to use 'netca.exe' to configure that) or you have multiple TNSNAMES.ORA files (in separate ORACLE_HOME/network/admin directories (due to multiple installs) and you are not using the right one.

Some tricks to configure the TNSNAMES.ora: copy a working version to the directory (say from your Linux install); read the http://www.dizwell.com docco on installing Oracle on Red Hat (has an excellent section on configuring network); read the "Oracle Networking" docco from http://docs.oracle.com

HTH
/Hans

BTW: Oracle Networking is the new (Oracle9i) name for Net8, aka SQL*Net. I'm told the name was changed apparently to better describe the new functionality. Received on Mon Jan 19 2004 - 17:36:26 CET

Original text of this message