Re: SQL Commands to interact with Windows Files in 9iR2

From: Hans Forbrich <hforbric_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 01:43:35 GMT

Galen Boyer wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, hforbric_at_yahoo.net wrote:
>

> > Perhaps the answer lies in netiquette rather than technology,
> > after all? (Just a thought.)
>
> Well, I wouldn't think the scolding responses held so little
> water if the people yelling about them also were good usenet
> citizens and sufficiently trimmed their posts (Daniel is a big
> offender in this regard). If one wants to measure the affect on
> usenet experience, not sufficiently trimming one's posts if far
> more of a gregious error against usenet humanity than
> cross-posting.

I agree with the sentiment.

At the same time, I lurk on about 65 newsgroups and lists (almost all about technology) - the discussions about top posting, cross posting and trimming happens in every one of them at least once every 6 months. With the same ranting ("don't do this, you &*$(_at_ " vs "I don't care") each and every time. You'd think the message would eventually get across.

You are fortunate in having picked a reader that does eliminate the nonsense of the cross posts. There are a number of alternative access methods that do not provide that capability, and the cost (download time over modem, re-read time, etc.) can be frustratingly high.

Flip side - I find reading bottom posts very irritating because of the lack of trimming and the need to scroll past relatively recent information to get to the meat. But I put up with it, and do bottom post, simply because it's generally accepted ettiquette (when in Rome ...).

/Hans
"Etiquette is the grease that lubricates the wheels of society; those whells are pretty rusty a tthe best of times" (misquoted from the Notebook of Lazarus Long) Received on Sat Jan 17 2004 - 02:43:35 CET

Original text of this message