Re: Oracle vs. MS SQL Server

From: <sybrandb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 16 Jan 2004 03:12:19 -0800

michaelnewport_at_yahoo.com (michael newport) wrote in message news:<63b202d.0401151034.2c25c657_at_posting.google.com>...
> no, it's the same as saying
>
> ....but Open Source such as MySql is gaining ground faster, and will
> continue as the TCO is lower
>
> At 1 point in time (not long ago), Open source was in its infancy.
> Now Open source software is used by many companies, and a growing
> number are evaluating it as they try to reduce their IT costs.
>
> Regards
> Michael Newport

Assertions without proof, apparently> Microsoft contest the TCO of Linux is lower.
But I don't think it is of any use arguing without because you have embraced Open Source as your Gospel (Deliberate capitalization here). Hopefull you will be prepared to pay for any claims you incur for the disasters you are causing by using Open Source. Any claim that MySQL is a *better* product than Oracle is utter bullshit, if you compare the functionality. The only advantage of MySQL is it is free.
However in IT, free lunches don't exist.

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Fri Jan 16 2004 - 12:12:19 CET

Original text of this message