Oracle 9IR2 OLAP and BI Beans - How to get it working

From: DD <denisdo_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 15 Jan 2004 19:19:36 -0800

Hi Guys!

Just would like to share with you my experiense in this matter. I was trying to evaluate how suitable Oracle OLAP for our applications.
As probably you did, I have downloaded from OTN website OraJDeveloper and BI Beans, installed them and opened Cube Viewer ... no luck! Just did not work.

After very long conversation(s) with Oracle Support I finally figured out how to fix this thing. So - below the sequence of actions that will bring you to really working BI Beans with BIBDEMOS schema.

One more comment - in the end I was really disappointed how Oracle Presentation beans look like - poorly looking, S L O W W W W and huge software, that I can reaplace with sequence of 5-7 web pages doing the same work...

Anyway, here we go:

What I have done:
  • Install fresh Win XP Prof SP1
  • Install Ora 92010
  • drop XMLCONCAT synonym and function OLAP catalog is valid, version 9201
  • shutdown DB with instance's win service, listener, Apache and agent
  • everything
  • Install OUI 2.2.0.18 (from patchset 3095277)
  • Install patch 92040 (3095277) WITH oui 2.2.0.18
  • STARTUP DB and listener
  • set shared pool and java pool to 180M each
  • resize system tablespace to 800M OLAP catalog is valid, version 9201
  • shutdown and startup migrate, listener still up
  • run catpatch.sql - no errors
  • shutdown / startup normal OLAP Catalog VALID
  • utlrp.sql - no errors
  • unlock and connect as OLAPSYS
  • postamd.sql - no errors OLAP Catalog VALID
  • set ORACLE_HOME variable
  • clearly shutdown, disconnect from sqlplus 3084634 one-off applied successfully
  • startup OLAP Catalog VALID
  • clearly shutdown DB and service, listener is UP (Important!!!!!)
  • run Installer, apply patch 92041 - success Now in UOI inventory I have: orahome92 +Ora DB 92010 +Patch set 92040 +patchset 92041 +oneoffs
  • startup OLAP Catalog VALID - 92041
  • as sys: _at_olap\admin\olapu92041.sql - no errors OLAP CAtalog valid
  • Install Jdev 9.0.3.3.1205 (unarchive it to C:\JDEV9033\)
  • Download BI Beans ( BI Beans 9.0.3.2 will appear as Oracle9i Business Intelligence Beans 9.0.3.6.0 as the component to install on the summary page during installation)
  • Unzip BIBEANS file, run OUI 22018 (NOT 22014 shipped with BIBeans), install BI Bean into NEW Oracle Home (where you have installed JDeveloper - i.e. C:\JDEV9033\)
  • install BIBDEMO schema
  • Run BI_CHECKCONFIG
  • Run Cube viewer - it works!

I would really appreciate some more comments from people who was testing / using it. It looks like nobody use them at production for mow - is that right?

Have a great day, Guys! Received on Fri Jan 16 2004 - 04:19:36 CET

Original text of this message