EMC SAN and refreshing snapshots

From: Larry <lbblair_at_adaptisinc.com>
Date: 13 Jan 2004 11:53:56 -0800

We have a new SAN -- Yahoooo.

This may not be the correct forum to do this but if someone knows of a better place please tell me :)

Our envinronment - Windows 2000 - oracle 9i Yeah yeah Oracle on windows who would figure but a CEO and Vice president . SAN is running Clariion, NaviCLI,ADMSNAP, SNAPVIEW

We have several R&D databases that are copies of production. What we want is to make a BCV(clone) of production and then make snapshots for R&D from that BCV. In some cases we want to refresh the snapshot daily.

We were told that if we used command line scripts we could drop the snap which drops the partition mapping to that drive in windows, recreate the snap, and then activate the snap which would 'recreate' the partition mapping in windows, and we would not have to reboot the server to see the updated partition.

We can do all of this except it forces us to reboot the server to see the partition. It is also making us go into Disk Management and assign a drive letter and activate the partition. This is great except there are to many manual steps. We don't want night ops having to do this every day.

I don't think we are asking for anything to strange. Has anyone had experience with this.

EMC's Help desk is not really helpfull. You would think they would know since they sold it :)

Thanks Received on Tue Jan 13 2004 - 20:53:56 CET

Original text of this message