Re: Error in starting Oracle agent and ORA:01031 on SQLPLUS

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2004 06:23:13 GMT

Cherrish Vaidiyan wrote:

> Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net> wrote in message news:<3FF587F5.A23A7169_at_yahoo.net>...
> >>
> > You have an incorrect install. This may be due to an incomplete or
> > incorrect copy. Oracle does not ONLY place it's information in the
> > $ORACLE_HOME directory.
> >
> > You do not seem to understand Oracle architecture. Doing so would ease
> > your tension significantly.
> >
> > > Please do not EXPECT anything from volunteers.
> >
> > Please do not use UPPERCASE ONLY. That is generally interpreted as
> > shouting and is considered very rude. Continuing to do so will decrease
> > the chances that you will get the help you wish.
>
> sir,
> I am very guily and request pardon all Google users for my words and
> specially for typing the queries in uppercase. I didnt knew that
> typing in uppercase had such a meaning.Its all because i was not used
> to posting FAQs.I never meant as if i was shouting, i typed in
> uppercase so that it creates some change to readers from previous
> replies. I apologise for my behaviour towards all volunteers and
> google users.
>
> I will copy the entire Oracle Directory . I think I have followed
> Oracle Flexible Architecture in installation. Thaking you for
> correcting my errors.. and suggestions... please dont ignore me...
>
> Respectfully
> Cherrish Vaidiyan

I understand what you were trying to accomplish with the uppercase typing. For myself, and I hope for the rest of our community, apology accepted.

Please note: it is generally not well understood that the comp.database.oracle and comp.databases.oracle newsgroups are obsolete (and have been for several years). The correct location for the questions is comp.databases.oracle.server and I encourage you to post new questions there. This is because some ISPs do not carry obsolete groups and you are not getting the full benefit of the volunteer community. (For example, I believe you are missing Sybrand's helpful hints.)

Now back to your problem:

I strongly encourage you to do a reinstall of your software based on the discussion papers either from http://www.dizwell.com or http://www.puschitz.com (both are excellent) . Reinstalling your software does NOT mean destroying your database as these are separate. (The software, when running, is your instance that manages the database.)

The software is generally kept in the $ORACLE_HOME tree. There are exceptions. It is these exceptions that I am concerned about. Things like /usr/local/bin, /opt/oracle and possibly others. I am also extremely concerned that your environment (such as variables) are not set up correctly. And finally, I worry that you do not have the correct version of gcc/glibc for recompile/relink. All these things are discussed in the Dizwell and Puschitz papers.

Please note that there are MANY files in the $ORACLE_HOME directories, such as (but not limited to) the $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/*.ora and some in the $ORACLE_HOME/sysman/config/*.properties, that contain references to the installed and/or discovered systems. These will be set up correctly with a reinstall, but will be incorrect for a pure copy. It MAY be possible to fix your problem by adjusting the entries in $ORACLE_HOME/network/agent/config files, but I suspect there are other files as well. (Quite frankly, it's not worth the time or effort to look for them, as the reinstall will probably be faster and will be more complete!)

However, the database(s) are generally kept in the $ORACLE_BASE/oradata tree. These can usually be safely copied between systems that use the same operating system and same file system. The exceptions to the location may include the pfile, the log files and possibly the control files however they may also be copied to a corresponding location on the clone system. Since various files names and directories are kept in the pfile (or spfile) and in the control files, you will need to make sure the database files are initially copied into an identically named tree structure. Once there and the database is verified operational, things can be moved (using the alter database command together with Linux mv command).

I am hoping you are using pfile and not spfile, or at least you are not editing the spfile directly. Editing the spfile has a high probability of making your database unusable. If you are using spfile, read the manual about converting to pfile so you can make appropriate changes such as directory names. (All manuals are at http://docs.oracle.com and the most important two are the Concepts Manual and Database Administration Guide.)

HTH
/Hans Received on Sat Jan 03 2004 - 07:23:13 CET

Original text of this message