Re: Linked Server to Oracle

From: Paul <paul_at_not.a.chance.ie>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 23:53:09 -0000

Sudhesh_at_mail.com says...

> I have an Oracle (8.1) & a SQL Server 2000 database with
> Production data. There are situations when I need data from both the
> databases. My first choice was to link Oracle to SQL and run DTS
> overnight. But this would have a 1 day latency not to mention the time
> it would take.

OK, what I would do here is ask the Oracle people for read only access to their db - I would also request that they time-stamp their records (or at least the ones you're interested in).

You can then write a programme in the language of your choice to act as a service every night to go and get the records in the Oracle database that are new - you could even run this service every 5 minutes or so if the Oracle people let you - the advantage here is that you will only be drawing down relatively small amounts of data if you do it regularly.

> 2. The Oracle db is fairly big, so I'm kinda not in favor of

What does "big" actually mean in MB? How much of this data do you need?

Paul...

--
plinehan  y_a_h_o_o  and d_o_t  com
C++ Builder 5 SP1, Interbase 6.0.1.6 IBX 5.04 W2K Pro

"XML avoids the fundamental question of what we should do,
by focusing entirely on how we should do it."

quote from http://www.metatorial.com