Re: Help Needed Regarding Oracle Migration

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 16:39:35 +0100

Azhar Bilgrami wrote:

> Dear
> Hi:
> Hope to see u in good health.
> " I want to migrate a database which is currently running
> Unix as Operating System and Oracle ver 6 as
> Database, it is also using oracle froms version 3 (text base)
> as Front End"
> Now here is what I want to do
> " I want to migrate that database from Oracle for Unix to
> Oracle for Linux With retaining all the Forms, in other words all I want
> is to change the Operating System!, nothing else, no change in Oracle or
> Certainly no change is Forms"
>
> I read other discussion forums and gathered the
> following, i.e. the steps to migrate a Database from Unix to Linux.
> 1. Export the database from source machine,i.e. Export all the Databse
> files using Oracle 7 Database Utility.
> 2. Install Oracle 8i on Linux Machine and Import that Database into Oracle
> 8i using Oracle 8i Database Utility.
> 3. Just Copy the Source Files of Oracle forms 3.3 from Unix Machine and
> Paste then onto my Linux Machine.
> 4. Recompile those files.
> 5. The system is ready!.
>
> Now kindly correct me if iam wrong in these steps, also I have few
> questions in my mind.
> 1. How to Export an database in Oracle 6 for Unix.
> 2. How to Import an Database in Oracle 8i for Linux.
> 3. How to recompile the Forms 3.3 Files.
> 4. Do I have to follow the same directory structure as Unix, i.e. if the
> form files are located at /usr/oracle/home on UNIX then should I follow
> the same directory structure?
>
> Thanks for your help in Advance.
> Take care of ure self.
> Azhar Bilgrami

Another broken keyboard.
This will not work - Forms V3 is incompatible with 8i. Period. The highest you can get, is 7.3 - and Forms 3 was still delivered with it, iirc. But there is no V7.3 for Linux (although I have heard people claim they had Unix versions of the RDBMS running on Linux; can't recall what version, but my guess is it was 8.0)

Time for another plan, and upgrade to something of this epoch. End of life cycle for 8i is announced - you are aware of that?

--
A prosperous 2004,
Regards,