Re: SQL

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 22:20:18 GMT

Desolation wrote:

> My friend has said that SQL is pronounced like the word "sequel". I
> have never heard of this.
> Can anyone verify it?

Yes. Many people pronounce it as 'sequel'. Many others pronounce it as 'S. Q. L.' Some even pronounce it as 'squirrel' (for some unknown reason). Amusingly, there are experts who insist on one variant or another.

I learned SQL in 1983 as part of my SQL/DS & DB2 evals, and 1984 for Oracle evals. There were raging debates in those days about the correct pronunciation. To my knowledge, there is no definitive conclusion to the debate - as a result, when I teach I use both variants interchangably.

Note that it's really not earth shattering ... it just doesn't matter ... just PLEASE don't say SQL when you in fact mean "Microsoft SQL Server"

/Hans Received on Wed Dec 31 2003 - 23:20:18 CET

Original text of this message