Re: Linked Server to Oracle

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 06:40:06 -0800

Serge Rielau wrote:
> Daniel,
>
> It seems the original poster is sitting on SQL Server. The Oracle DBMS
> belongs to "another Group". So the argumnet of traing goes teh other way
> around.
> I don't know SQL Server well enough, but I'd be surprised if they don't
> support OLE Table Functions which then, of course, allows T-SQL to hit
> multiple sources at the same time, just like transparent gateway does.
> The really interesting question is: How much optimization does
> transparent gateway provide (in Oracle 8)? Only if it supports
> distributed optimization with subquery pushdown to SQL Server will there
> be any conceptual difference since OLE does not provide such
> capabilities. Judging by the whitepapers available so far it seems some
> of this heterogeneous optimization is coming in Oracle 10g, but that
> isn't what the poster has.
>
> Cheers
> Serge

I'm not sure why you specify Oracle 8 as is it over a decade old. Could be 8i, could be 9i, and it is essential the OP find out. If the SQL must be executed on the SQL Server side, as has since been indiated, Transparent Gateway is out. My suggestion is that the OP work out the solution with the Oracle DBA responsible for the database. It is likely they will not say "Yes" to whatever is proposed but will have very specific ideas and concerns.

You are correct about 10g. I've been working with it for months and it is quite a different animal.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu