ERROR in Standby database setup with RH9

From: Cherrish Vaidiyan <unbreakablematrix_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 27 Dec 2003 03:46:51 -0800

sir,
The following are the steps that i followed in setting up standby database on Red hat Linux 9. i am using Oracle 9i.

i have followed the steps in this site :

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96653/create_ps.htm#66206

Still i give the steps i followed.
[I] Preparing the Primary Database for Standby Database Creation

Before you create a standby database you must first ensure that the primary database is properly configured. Place the primary database in FORCE LOGGING mode after database creation using the following SQL statement:

SQL> ALTER DATABASE FORCE LOGGING; Ensure that the primary database is in ARCHIVELOG mode, that automatic archiving is enabled, and that you have defined a local archiving destination.

Set the local archive destination using the following SQL statement:

SQL> ALTER SYSTEM SET
LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_1='LOCATION=/disk1/oracle/oradata/payroll 2> MANDATORY' SCOPE=BOTH;
[II] Identify the Primary Database Datafiles

On the primary database, query the V$DATAFILE view to list the files that will be used to create the physical standby database, as follows:

SQL> SELECT NAME FROM V$DATAFILE;
[III] Make a Copy of the Primary Database

On the primary database, perform the following steps to make a closed backup copy of the primary database.
Step 1 Shut down the primary database.

SQL> SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE; Step 2 Copy the datafiles to a temporary location.

Step 3 Restart the primary database.

SQL> STARTUP;
[IV] Create a Control File for the Standby Database

SQL> ALTER DATABASE CREATE STANDBY CONTROLFILE AS 2> '/disk1/oracle/oradata/payroll/standby/payroll2.ctl';

[V] Prepare the Initialization Parameter File to be Copied to the
Standby Database

Create a traditional text initialization parameter file from the server parameter file used by the primary database; a traditional text initialization parameter file can be copied to the standby location and modified

SQL> CREATE PFILE='/disk1/oracle/dbs/initpayroll2.ora' FROM SPFILE;

[VI] Copy Files from the Primary System to the Standby System

[VII] Set Initialization Parameters on a Physical Standby Database

Although most of the initialization parameter settings in the text initialization parameter file that you copied from the primary system are also appropriate for the physical standby database, some modifications need to be made.

db_name=PAYROLL
compatible=9.2.0.1.0
control_files='/disk1/oracle/oradata/payroll/standby/payroll2.ctl' log_archive_start=TRUE
standby_archive_dest='/disk1/oracle/oradata/payroll/standby' db_file_name_convert=('/disk1/oracle/oradata/payroll/',

'/disk1/oracle/oradata/payroll/standby/')
log_file_name_convert=('/disk1/oracle/oradata/payroll/',
'/disk1/oracle/oradata/payroll/standby/')
log_archive_format=log%d_%t_%s.arc
log_archive_dest_1=('LOCATION=/disk1/oracle/oradata/payroll/standby/') standby_file_management=AUTO
remote_archive_enable=TRUE
instance_name=PAYROLL2
# The following parameter is required only if the primary and standby databases
# are located on the same system.
lock_name_space=PAYROLL2
_at_@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
I got some doubts here in modifying parameters :
  1. Is the db_name kept same as that of primary ?
  2. I think i have to give path of standby control file that i have created.. right ? 3)Wat abt value in 'db_file_name_convert' & 'log_file_name_convert' parameter ? what is the first path that i have to give ?my primary database is in another system..
_at_@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

[VIII] Configure Listeners for the Primary and Standby Databases

[IX] Enable Dead Connection Detection on the Standby System

Enable dead connection detection by setting the SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME parameter to 2 in the SQLNET.ORA parameter file on the standby system. For example:

SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME=2
[X] Create Oracle Net Service Names

[XI]Create a Server Parameter File for the Standby Database
SQL> CREATE SPFILE FROM PFILE='initpayroll2.ora';

[XII] Start the Physical Standby Database

On the standby database, issue the following SQL statements to start and mount the database in standby mode:

SQL> STARTUP NOMOUNT;
SQL> ALTER DATABASE MOUNT STANDBY DATABASE;

now i get the following error... can u help me out wats the problem??? the error is

SQL> alter database mount standby database; alter database mount standby database
*
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01102: cannot mount database in EXCLUSIVE mode

Can anyone experienced such a problem..? pls do help me .. if anyone can give me in personal mail pls donot hesitate.

thanking u in advance..
Cherrish Vaidiyan Received on Sat Dec 27 2003 - 12:46:51 CET

Original text of this message