Will copying Oracle home directory install Oracle 9i on RH linux 9 system ?

From: Cherrish Vaidiyan <unbreakablematrix_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 19 Dec 2003 02:00:15 -0800

Hello database professionals,

I am thankful for all ur support to me till now. I accept the suggestion given to me by Mr.Frank in case of answering.

This query is related to oracle 9i on Red Hat Linux. I have installed Oracle 9i Enterprise edition on a Red Hat Linux 9 pc. I have created two small database and it is working well. I want to install Oracle 9i on another system with Red Hat Linux 9. One of my senior staff told me, to copy Oracle Home folder,
/etc/oratab,/etc/oraInst.loc.

I have copied as said. I created a user named oracle1 in dba group[oracle is the name of user in my earlier system]. I have made Oracle 9i installation changes in /etc/sysctl.conf and
/etc/security/limits.conf to make the kernel perfect for running
Oracle.i have also made the pathd definitions in ~/.bashrc also.

Now when i give
[oracle1_at_node3 oracle1]$ netmgr

The following error is shown.whatever i give like dbca or oemappconsole i get same error.

X11 connection rejected because of wrong uthentication. X connection to localhost:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

  1. Will copying oracle files install it on Linux? or Is it that i need to install the full oracle by the Oracle universal installer ?
  2. Will the two database i was using in the initial system , work in my new system ? or do i need to create a new database for the second/new pc ?
  3. Should i need to do any further step to up the oracle software and oracle database ?

pls do help me.. with ur ideas and suggestions..

regards,
Cherrish Vaidiyan Received on Fri Dec 19 2003 - 11:00:15 CET

Original text of this message