Re: Index and foreign key

From: VC <boston103_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 22:36:49 GMT

Hello Olivier,

Unindexed foreign keys can cause a dead-lock during concurrent primary keys updates/deletes under any current Oracle version including 9i. I'd be very much impressed if this problem were fixed in 10g...

So if you anticipate updates/deletes to the primary key, the foreign keys have to be indexed.

Also, an unindexed foreign key is a performance issue if:

  • you have an 'on delete cascade'; -- you query from the parent table to the child table;

Rgds.

VC