Re: Oracle 9i OEM login NullPointerException to OMS (solved)

From: Charles <Charles_Spam_Lim_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 14 Dec 2003 23:28:13 -0800

I solved my problem following Doc ID: 216820.1 in Metalink. Here is a copy of the solution. It had to do with my /etc/hosts file not having a separate entry for the host. Charles

FACTS

  1. Unable to log into OEM console from a remote client machine to OMS on server
  2. Local logging through OEM console to OMS works fine.
  3. Net8 works fine ie network is well configured.
  4. Error: "The exception (java.lang.NullPointerException) occured." is received consistently on the remote client.

CAUSES AND EXPLAINATION

  1. The machine where the OMS is installed must have a fixed IP address and the hostname must be resolvable to the assigned IP address.
  2. You must be able to resolve the hostname of the OMS machine to its assigned IP address from the OEM console machine.
  3. The OMS machine must have a valid assigned IP address. 127.0.0.1 is not a valid IP address except for loopback connection (OMS machine to itself). If a client tries to connect to IP 127.0.0.1, it will attempt to connect to itself

SOLUTION STEPS

SECTION 1

step1

From OMS Server, please issue the following commands:

#1hostname
#2ping<name from step #1>

If the ping from #2 command returns 127.0.0.1 . It means that the machine does
not resolve to a normal IP address, it resolves to a loopback IP address which
is wrong as already discussed.

[If it is the IP address issue as found in step1 then proceed,else go to section 2]

step2

Contact your network administrator and obtain a fixed IP address for the OMS
(UNIX) machine and if you use DNS on your network register the hostname/IP
address of the OMS machine in DNS. If you use hosts files for name resolution,
add an entry for the fixed IP address and hostname in the host file on the OMS
machine and on the client.

STEP3

Edit the host file on the OMS machine and remove hostnames referenced (except
localhost) for IP 127.0.0.1.

STEP4

Verify that the OMS machine and client can resolve the OMS machine hostname to
its correct IP address.

STEP5

Start the repository database and database listener.

STEP6

Make a sqlplus connection to the repository database as the repository owner

STEP7

Log into the OEM console on the client as follows:

Administrator: sysman
Password: oem_temp (you will be prompted to change this password)

STEP8 (optional)

If you want to manage the OEMREP database from the OEM console, stop and restart
the Intelligent Agent on the Unix machine, then discover the node in the OEM
console..

SECTION 2 (Please check this section if IP address is fine as per section 1)

Add the following property to
$ORACLE_HOME/sysman/config/omsconfig.properties MULTI_NIC.ENABLED=false

SECTION 3 (Please check this section if IP address is fine as per section 1)

Modify the BootHost property in
$ORACLE_HOME/sysman/config/omsconfig.properties to have the name of the network card on which the Management Server has to listen.

Change "BootHost=localhost" to "BootHost=<network card host name> .

        Copyright (c) 1995,2000 Oracle Corporation. All Rights Reserved. Legal Notices and Terms of Use.