Re: Need help to understand difference, and contrast between Relational database model and the Object-Oriented model

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 22:28:47 -0500

"Corey Brown" <corey_at_spectrumsoftware.net> wrote in message news:i6KBb.11541$4t2.8346_at_bignews4.bellsouth.net...

> "Alfredo Novoa" <alfredo_at_ncs.es> wrote in message
> > "Corey Brown" <corey_at_spectrumsoftware.net> wrote in message

> > > Alfredo, why don't you explain to us why you think this answer is
> > > nonsense.
> >
> > Because it is evident for anybody with a grasp on data management.
>
> This is exactly the type of answer that I would expect from somebody
> like Bob B. Why must you guys always answer direct questions with
> inappropriate remarks like this. If you have the knowledge and the
> ability to express that knowledge to others, why don't you take a
> few minutes out to lay down some cold hard facts, instead of just
> telling us to go educate ourselves? Why can't you step up to the
> role of teacher and start explaining why you "think" one technology
> is better than another?

With all due respect, neither I nor Alfredo owe you or anyone else an elementary education in the fundamentals of your practice. You, on the other hand, have a responsibility to educate yourself in those fundamentals.

> > > I am also pretty sure
> > > that ODBM
> > > systems do use direct pointers to relate objects together.
> >
> > And I am pretty sure that SQL DBMSes use pointers internally.
>
> So your point about network databases being obsolete and discredited
> doesn't count here? If using internal pointers is so foul, why doesn't
> it
> apply to your last statement?

Your remarks betray ignorance of data management fundamentals and a profound confusion between the logical and the physical. A physical pointer is perfectly appropriate at the physical level provided no user ever interacts with it directly at the logical level.

> I know, I know go educate yourself.

In your case: Very sound advice.

> > > Yes object databases are relatives of "Network Model" databases,
> but
> > > so what!
> >
> > So they are based in a primitive obsolete and discredited approach.
> > That's all.
>
> So what! There are many many examples of technologies that have
> been eclipsed by better designs.

ODBMS is not a new design and has eclipsed nothing. Only an ignoramus such as yourself could fail to recognize those facts.

> > > There are certain types of applications that can benefit from
> > > the
> > > use of object database systems.
> >
> > Perhaps in very special circumstances when the flaws of the current
> > SQL DBMSes are more important than the network model inherent flaws,
> > and the flaws of the concrete OODBMS implementations.
>
> I don't think the circumstances are all that special.

Since you base your conclusions on ignorance, I fail to see why anyone should care what you think.

> > But you need a good knowledge on the fundamental to decide when to use
> > one tool or other appropiately, and the kind of nonsenses we can read
> > here don't help.
>
> Please see my comment above. It doesn't do anybody any good if you're
> just going to keep telling people how "misinformed" they are. Step up
> the plate and start transfering your knowledge to the people in the
> trenches.

Fuck you, you lazy, ignorant freeloader. I paid for my education. Go pay for your own.

[remainder of demanding, ignorant nonsense snipped]

plonk Received on Thu Dec 11 2003 - 04:28:47 CET

Original text of this message