COLUMN WITH WORD_WRAP IN PL/SQL ????

From: george lewycky <gelewyc_at_nyct.com>
Date: 9 Dec 2003 11:37:43 -0800

I am trying to take a field description for a column of about 200+ bytes and wrap the field into 3 lines of 70 bytes apiece in PL/SQL!!!!!! I know this can be done in SQL*Plus as show below but how can I take this command and have it work in PL/SQL ??? Any ideas, samples ?????

Thanks in advance

George Lewycky
gelewyc_at_nyct.com

COLUMN remark FORMAT A20 WORD_WRAP
the selected column remark is given a width of 20 characters. The contents of the field is printed 20 characters to the line with the break ending after a full word on each line. This will mean some records actual print on more than one line.

 Word-wrap in PL/SQL ???

        Can COLUMN with WORD_WRAP from SQL*Plus be used in PL/SQL ??

Also note that in the first command you must enter the expression exactly as you entered it (or will enter it) in the SELECT command. Otherwise, SQL*Plus cannot match the COLUMN command to the appropriate column.
To wrap long values in a column named REMARKS, you can enter SQL> COLUMN REMARKS FORMAT A20 WRAP
For example:
CUSTOMER DATE QUANTITY REMARKS

123        25-AUG-86 144      This order must be s
                              hipped by air freigh
                              t to ORD

If you replace WRAP with WORD_WRAP, REMARKS looks like this:
CUSTOMER   DATE      QUANTITY REMARKS

123 25-AUG-86 144 This order must be shipped by air freight to ORD If you specify TRUNCATE, REMARKS looks like this: CUSTOMER DATE QUANTITY REMARKS
123 25-AUG-86 144 This order must be s