Re: OMWB

From: Frank <fbortel_at_nescape.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 20:26:22 +0100

Andy Kent wrote:

> If you search for Oracle Migration Workbench (OMWB) from oracle.com
> you only seem to get broken and dead-end links.
>
> Has anyone any idea where this product is at at the moment?
>
> Has anyone got any stories to relate of using it?
>
> Thanks
>
> Andy Kent
It's on the download page of otn.oracle.com.

As for it's usage, the current production version has some limitations:
- does not support generation of more than 512 tables - does not support 9i ANSI syntax, and cannot correctly

   create all outer joins (for which OMWB itself warns) - has difficulties reading SQL Server 2000 online; works

   OK when using the Disconnected Capture. - Works OK with Access (usually smaller in number of objects,

   limits don't get reached, probably
- Is inconsistent in usage of upper and lowercase object naming,

   and usage of double quotes - resuling in malformed statements.

I'd suggest you simply try it, and see if you like it, and can live with the limitations. I updated the internal repository to get passed some of them (upper case...)

--
Regards, Frank van Bortel