Beginners problem with assigning object methods.

From: Doobai <no_at_no.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 13:21:29 +0000

Hi, hope you can help,

Just starting to learn about objects-relationals and I've come across what I hope is a little problem, when I try and make the method code, I get told the type already exists, heres a stripped down example, I'm sure its a terribly simple mistake:

  • Example object type [works fine]:

CREATE OR REPLACE TYPE student_type as object (firstName varchar2(25),
MEMBER FUNCTION getName RETURN varchar2, PRAGMA RESTRICT_REFERENCES (getName, WNDS, WNPS, RNDS, RNPS)) /

  • Example object body type:

CREATE TYPE BODY student_type IS
MEMBER FUNCTION getName RETURN VARCHAR2 IS BEGIN
RETURN SELF.firstName;
END;
END;
/

  • Error I get is:

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00955: name is already used by an existing object

All I want to do (for now) is just to get the info out of the object, like

create table student of student_type;
select s.getName() from student s;

If I can get this test working then I can finally progress on, I understand that student_type does exist, but surely (and from the examples im reading) I need to specify where this method belongs.

Thanks,

Doobai. Received on Sun Nov 30 2003 - 14:21:29 CET

Original text of this message