Re: Hot Backup Question

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 20 Nov 2003 15:51:48 -0800

drazak_at_materiamagica.com (Andrew E) wrote in message news:<1e3ecbbd.0311200724.302cfd1_at_posting.google.com>...
> I just took over DBA responsibilities for an Oracle 8i database
> running on Linux. Although I've been working with relational
> databases for some time, I'm a bit green on Oracle so forgive me.
>
> My first task was to implement a backup strategy (currently there is
> none). I did a great deal of research both on this board and using
> the Oracle Press 8i handbook. I made a cold backup (with oracle
> shutdown) and sucessfully moved it from my production machine to my
> test machine and this works fine. My question is around "hot
> backups".

This board is obsolete, use google to search for Oracle newsgroup Charter.
You should be researching on comp.databases.oracle.server for administration issues.

> I sucessfully switched the database into ARCHIVELOG mode. I am then
> running this script (abbreviated for brevity) to back it up:
>
> connect internal as sysdba
> alter system switch logfile;

Do switch for as many logfile groups as you have.

> alter tablespace SYSTEM begin backup;
> cp $ORACLE_DATA/system*.dbf /home/oracle/backup
> alter tablespace SYSTEM end backup;
> ...I do the above for each tablespace...
> archive log stop
> ...Run procedure to archive logfiles...
> archive log start

No, don't stop archive logging. You could grind everything to a halt.

> alter database backup controlfile to
> '/home/oracle/backup/controlfile.bck';
>
> This all appears to run fine, but I have two questions on my
> unsuccessful restore:
>
> #1. Something appears to be wrong with my control file backup. Upon
> moving the backed up files to my "test" machine, I place them in the
> data directory, and rename my control file backup to the correct name
> and run this procedure:
>
> - I start the instance
> - I mount the database
> - I issue a recover database
> I then receive the following error:
>
> ORA-00283: recovery session canceled due to errors
> ORA-01610: recovery using the BACKUP CONTROLFILE option must be done
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts around this?

01610, 00000, "recovery using the BACKUP CONTROLFILE option must be done"
// *Cause: Either an earlier database recovery session specified BACKUP
// CONTROLFILE, or the controlfile was recreated with the RESETLOGS
// option, or the controlfile being used is a backup controlfile.

//          After that only BACKUP CONTROLFILE recovery is allowed
//          and it must be followed by a log reset at the next
database open.
// *Action: Perform recovery using the BACKUP CONTROFILE option.

> #2.
>
> If I use 'recover database using backup controlfile', I get further,
> but I am prompted for an archived log that is 1 sequence number
> greater then I have! I checked both in my archived log area that my
> backup script makes as well as the "live" area on the production
> server.
>
> Why would this be happening?

Could be you need to recover until cancel, and then just cancel. Or maybe it's the lack of enough switches earlier. Or maybe you need to supply the redo log file names.

See http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_database_id=NOT&p_id=131865.1

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.