Re: Oracle 7, Indexes

From: mcstock <mcstockspamplug_at_spamdamenquery.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 09:14:32 -0500

  1. no indexes are invisible, you can't hide them from the object's owner
  2. it's not clear in your post if you realize that you don't need an index on a column in order to search for a value in that column -- the index is only necessary for uniqueness (not the case here) or potentially for performance improvement
  3. if there is no way physically or politically that you can create an index, you need to balance the benefits of an index (which would require in this case, cloning the table and creating the index) with the cost of maintaining a the additional table and index(es) -- if you run reports often, and it's ok for the data to be somewhat out of date, then it may be worth the processing cost to create the other table -- however, it sounds like it's probably not going to be worth the effort.
  4. if your analysis under #3 indicates the index is valuable, you need to present your case to your vendor -- a reasonable vendor should be willing to discuss stuff like this -- however, if they're still running on Oracle 7, their Oracle savvy and reasonableness is a bit suspect
    • mcs