Re: Limit the levels for a query with CONNECT BY

From: Bernard Drolet <le_pul_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: 5 Nov 2003 06:50:25 -0800

sybrandb_at_yahoo.com wrote in message news:<a1d154f4.0311050031.2f4d988c_at_posting.google.com>...

> Hint: there is a LEVEL pseudo function.
>
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

I have two concerns with LEVEL:

First,

I do not know in advance at what level the specific row is ! The table contains the structure and content of complex SGML documents; the SGML structure (DTD) can be different from one document to the other and can even change over time

(for example, I can have a document with PUBLICATION - CHAPTER - SECTION - TASK
structure today, but in future, the person in charge of the publication can decide to add a layer, as in PUBLICATION - CHAPTER - SECTION - PAGEBLOCK - TASK, so the level to find the TASK is now changed and the query will not find it anymore).

Second,

Even if I ask to display only the, for example, 3 first LEVELs, am I right when I say the query will process the complete tree structure anyway before returning me only the rows I'm interested in ?

Bernard Drolet Received on Wed Nov 05 2003 - 15:50:25 CET

Original text of this message