Re: Boss doesn't understand Oracle ...

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2003 21:13:21 GMT

"Domenic G." wrote:

> I was wondering how many Oracle DBAs out there have bosses that are
> complete doe-doe birds? My current boss is a beaut -- has absolutely
> no concept of Oracle, keeps flipping back and forth from wanting RAC
> and Data Guard, and is totally anti-UNIX of any kind. He just doesn't
> take Oracle seriously and he just wants to dump it on any server like
> an Access DB and ignore it. Today he calls me in and says "forget
> about RAC and DataGuard -- we'll use Oracle Fail Safe!".
>
> I'm at my wits-end with this guy -- doesn't want to use RMAN, just
> exp/imp for production databases, won't move off 7.3.4 for a couple of
> DBs. This guy is driving me nuts -- I'm almost ready to take those 3
> oracle software CDs and ram them down his throat sideways.
>
> Domenic.

Not sure whether it'll help in your case - one customer had a boss like that & I gave him a copy of O'Reilly's Oracle Essentials. It helped with that one. That's fairly easy reading (even management can understand it), accurate and high level enough to keep them away from the actual code.

Other than that - any particular shade of mauve he likes?

--
/Hans
[mailto:`echo $from" | sed "s/yahoo/telusplanet/g"`]