Re: Raw on Linux

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 03:48:24 GMT

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 14:32:29 -0400, MWD wrote:

> For anyone looking for info on running raw partitions on Linux, I just found
> an excellent article on the fundamentals of Raw on Linux. The site is
> www.idevelopment.info . I found the article by navigating to "Oracle" then
> "DBA Tips" then "Linux" (About halfway down the page). Since I typically
> always use file systems, this was pretty helpful.
>
> - MD

That is a "cookbook" type article which forgets one small thing: why would I want to use raw devices in the first place? I don't have particlarly strong masochistic preferences, aside from being a senior oracle DBA. Raw devices are administrative nightmare, cannot be extended, tar/cpio/dump utilities cannot work with them, I can only have 256 of them and they can only be 4G in size. Are you sure that your post isn't unsolicited advertizing (spam, spam, bacon and spam) for an obscure "DBA tips" site?

--
None of us is as dumb as all of us.
(http://www.despair.com/meetings.html)