Re: On the subject of Data Warehouses, Data Cubes & OLAP....

From: DataMan <dataman_at_ev1.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 02:52:14 -0000

"Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_golden.net> wrote:
>"DataMan" <dataman_at_ev1.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_golden.net> wrote:
>> >"DataMan" <dataman_at_ev1.net> wrote in message

 just
 very
 difficult

 you
 offer

 doubt
 assertion
 that

 remarkable
 that

>> >I suppose we all make assumptions, and I try to make mine explicit. To
 which
>> >assumptions do you refer?

 your
 opinion

>> >Again, to which assumptions do you refer?

>> >I don't see any attachments. Regardless, how does the requirement exceed
 the
>> >capabilities and features of a snapshot?
>> >

>> What does this question have to do with the my previous point?
>
>If a simple snapshot meets the reporting requirement, why would anyone need
>or want anything else? What drives the need for a different model or stars
>or snowflakes or dimension tables or fact tables or anything else for that
>matter? The relevance seems very clear to me.

Perhaps if that were you're original point. But it wasn't. You asked for examples of how it would be more difficult to retrieve data out of a normalized database compared to a dimensional model. I offered an example to which you replied "If a simple snapshot meets the reporting requirement, why would anyone need
 or want anything else? What drives the need for a different model or stars or snowflakes or dimension tables or fact tables or anything else for that matter?" Which just reinforces my original assumption on this whole thread.  But to address your second question, a simple snapshot doesn't meet the requirement all the time. In most cases your sourcing data from many different applications all with their own unique rules and constraints.

 becomes
 necessity.
 entry
 systems
 One
 for
 small
 etc.
 And
 of
 entities.
 So
 you
 make
 consistent
 ahead
 and
 put
 easily
 pull

 and
 the
 your
 question
 say
 OLAP
 for
 convenience)?
 real
 time

 you
 know
 is
 not

>> >If you know what a relation is and you know what a derived relation is
 and
>> >you know what a stored relation is, what causes you trouble with
>> >understanding a derived stored relation? It all seems quite clear to
 me.

>> Great. What's your point then?
>
>See my original question: Does that mean OLAP is just another word meaning
>"snapshot" ?

No. Facts can be events not just transactional data. For example, a company wants to track counts of installs and disconnects for their products, services, and customers. Every time a product is installed an install event is added to the fact for the product.

 an
 application

 is
 shown

>> >Why would anyone navigate something that does not require >navigation?
 The
>> idea seems somewhat absurd to me.
>>
>> And to alot of other people. Some people figured out how to get around
 all
>> the navigation.
>
>What navigation?
>

>> >Where can I find the raw data for your
>> >empirical measurements? Can you email them to me?
>>
>> Isn't that an oxymoron?
>
>No. Why would it be? Valid empiricism requires measurement. I suggest you
>read _How we know what isn't so_ by Thomas Gilovich.

Thanks, I'll look it up. My empiricism is invalid.

>> >I agree. Most of them accept meaningless pap without objection.

>> >Is there supposed to be some meaningful point in the above observation?

 not
 the

>> >What technology is that? Be specific: We are all engineers here.
>>
>> Ummm, data warehousing?
>
>I am afraid you are using circular logic. You have yet to describe what
>exactly data warehousing is in any comprehensible manner as a technology.
 It
>appears you continue to repeat meaningless pap without any real
>comprehension yourself and you continue to find yourself beyond your depth.

That's classic.

 The
 jury's

>> >Definitely not a gentleman. The jury came back on that verdict ages ago.

 the
 month

>> >Okay. But wouldn't a photocopier or Kinkos be cheaper?

>> >Since nothing gets updated, what would be the point?
>> >

>> All 12 months in one report. Don't you get one of those from you CC
 company?
>> Do you keep it or throw it away?
>
>If the data is not going to change, why would I wait until next month for
>next month's report?

>> >Since nothing changes, what would the year to date show? Why wouldn't
 one
>> >just report on the data at the beginning of the year?
>> >

>> How about trending? Don't folks at your company want to see how sales
 of
>> a certain product are trending on a monthly, quarterly basis?
>
>Trends imply change over time. Since according to you the data in the data
>warehouse never changes, what meaning would a trend have?

I'm not sure why you're having such difficulty with this concept. Take a look at the stock market and rolling averages.

>> This is real
>> easy to do with a dimensional model BTW. Try it in a normalized data
 model
>> (if they keep history at all).
>
>Other than stating that the data in the data warehouse never changes, you
>have still not described the difference between dimensional and normalized
>data models. Actually, you have posted a number of mutually contradictory
>statements so it is impossible to discern what the hell you are talking
>about.

You forgot a few:
  Their requirements to model are different   And as a result their structure is different   And supports easier retrival

 this
 improved

 dimensional
 format

 hell
 did
 you

 responded
 too
 application
 can

 it
 not

 fact

>> >I see. We have lots of dimensions and lots of fact tables. How does one
 know
>> >which dimensions and facts to use?
>> >

>> The one that you need. Is this a trick question?
>
>No. I guess the user would just use the entity the user needs. >What purpose
 does the data warehouse serve? How does it improve understanding? How have
>you measured this improved understanding? You have yet to answer any
>question with a meaningful answer.

I disagree. But I knew we would.

 data

 in