Re: trouble shooting oracle instance

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 22 Oct 2003 06:29:45 -0700

sjgrad03 <member35423_at_dbforums.com> wrote in message news:<3508974.1066797590_at_dbforums.com>...
> Dear members:
>
> I have trouble to logon sqlplus. one dbforum member said that my oralce
> instance doesn't start.
>
> I used following command in the command line prompt:
>
> a) c:\oracle\ora92\bin sqlplus / nolog
>
> b) sql> conn sys/change_on_install as sysdba ( it showed a message
>
> "connected to an idle instance")
>
> c) sql> startup
>
> then the following error message showed up
>
> ORA-01078: failure in processing system parameters
>
> LRM-00109: could not open parameter file 'C:\ORACLE\ORA92
> \DATABASE\INITJSHU03.ORA'
>
> jshu03 is the name i gave to database (global)
>
> In the ORAdim log it has following error recorded
>
> ORA-01078: failure in processing system parameters
>
> LRM-00109: could not open parameter file
> 'C:\ORACLE\ORA92\DATABASE\INITJSHU03.ORA'
>
> Could someone give me some ideas how to fix this problem? The bad thing
> is that I forget the password for my database jshu03. Do i need to
> reinstall Oracle9i from the begining??
>
> If you have time please help me, Thanks!
>
> sjgrad03
>
> 10-20-03

Sjgrad03, the message says Oracle is looking for the init.ora file at the full path indicated. Where did you create the initSID.ora file at? If it is somewhere else you should copy it to the expected location and try again or use the pfile= parameter to point to the actual location.

Also is your SID the same as you DB name. If not you need to set the ORACLE_SID environment variable so Oracle is looking for the right instance.

Also, When a newsgroup has subgroups it generally means you should post in the subgroups and not in the group. Several of the better posters seem to avoid venturing out of the sub-groups. If you need more help try posting to the server subgroup.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Wed Oct 22 2003 - 15:29:45 CEST

Original text of this message