Page Processing Efficiency

From: Michael Hill <hillmw_at_ram.lmtas.lmco.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 18:58:03 -0500

If I had a page that was being generated using coldfusion from queries to an oracle table would it be better response time: A) pulling the all the data using 1 query and iterating over the same result table multiple time producing desired arrays, or B) pulling specific data using specific queries with less production of arrays and proccessing after te data was returned?

In the example I had 2 date fields called start and comp in a table with other like data and wanted to know what the min value was from both fields.

So I have to "select * from the table where mynum='131'" and then process the result set

or

"select * from the table where mynum='131'" as well as 2 more queries:

"SELECT min(min_start) as min_start

  FROM
  (
  SELECT min(BASE_START) as min_start